Monday, June 14, 2010

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times.

I love these times. I finished graduate school classes and Branson graduated from ACU, so now I am writing my dissertation and looking for a career and he is finishing up the houses he's been working on and looking for a career. I am visiting Branson in Abilene this week, since he spent last week in Houston after we got back from the U.K. on Monday, and yesterday we attended church at Highland with Mark and Kaila. I think we all agreed that these times were captured perfectly by the honorable Randy Harris, who spoke about life not being a story, because there is no plot. I think he meant to communicate that we cannot look at our lives with a certain beginning and certain end with certain steps to take and positions to have to get there--to the desired end of whatever success we've imagined for ourselves. We will never end up where we started obviously, and it will never be quite what we imagined. I think that is what makes life a story, even if it is mundane. The Truman Show was about a relatively mundane life as well. I am currently trying to not live a life based on decisions that I think would make my life worth watching. I know I need to live the life that is best every day, which will probably mean different decisions every day. I am grateful that my dream house for me and Branson right now is a tiny cottage with gables and the capacity for a turret add-on. I know we are both trying to make sure we do not sell out to careers we do not want, but also trying to accept that perhaps we can look at a career for now, rather than a career for life. I want to live in France for a year and cook. This does not necessarily have anything to do with my peace and conflict studies academic background but it is international relations. Of course, Branson has issues with this: 1. They all speak French. 2. They're a bunch of liberal Europeans. I think we should learn French! He also has a better chance of finding an affordable place with hidden passageways and turrets there. We are looking for jobs in Texas, with an open mind for places much farther away like D.C. So if anyone has ideas for someone who is looking for a political consultancy/international relations/NGO-like career for me and a real estate development/sales career for him, please PLEASE let us know! We are living off the wisdom and encouragement of the wonderful people in our lives.

We were so blessed by getting to go to my good friend Marshall's wedding this last Saturday at Grapevine Farms in Abilene, to the beautifully ethereal Justina and I must say, it was one of the most touching and unique weddings I've ever had the opportunity to go to. They emphasized the importance and meaning of community and had their close friends share in their vows with them, as they stood at the altar in their normal attire, with sandals and smiles. It was beautiful and such a blessing to share in. Justina even made homemade napkins for everyone, to take home and keep as a memory and had a potluck meal for everyone to enjoy. It was absolutely lovely.

For now, that is all and I am going to go make lunch with my sister while B golfs with Joel. More stories, wedding updates and recipe sharing to come!

Love,
Kate

No comments:

Post a Comment